Monday, November 16, 2009

Crafty II

So, I've been begging for a china hutch since the day we returned from our honeymoon. A girl needs somewhere to display all of her new china and pewter, right? I really wanted to go the whole second-hand route, and possibly refinish something myself. I also required both hutch space and buffet space. Since we don't have a true dining room, it also couldn't be too big. This, until now, has been impossible to find.

But last Sunday, Ryan so graciously agreed to let me drag him to a cute little flea market 15 miles away. There were a few pieces I knew I liked there already, but I just couldn't get him onboard with the colors or price tags. I had one hand on the doorknob out when he spotted the most perfect, terribly orange china hutch/buffet. The seller happened to be in the store, and when she offered to drive it to our house for us, we couldn't resist.





I thought I might be able to live with the orange for a while, but that only lasted a day. I trotted off to Home Depot for some primer-in-the-paint paint. I picked up a $3 sample can of Behr Voyage, and it covered the whole thing with some to spare. It's a matte finish (the only option in sample size), and a little too light blue, but I think a tinted stain will solve my color and gloss problems.*

The finished product:




*I don't know the first thing about staining. If anyone has done it before, I'd love to know how the heck it works.

No comments: